Saturday 7 March 2009

Last night I was full of big plans for today.. to find another picturesque walk to do with the dogs and to get some more photos and video done... sadly that didn't happen!  When we woke up, it was really sunny and the sky was so blue, but it didn't take long for it to become overcast, so we decided that we'd save ourselves the disappointment of driving somewhere lovely, only to be rained on!

I took the dogs out locally, and although I did take a few photos, they are not the best.  It was too light for the flash, but too dark to make do without.  I love taking photos in sport mode on bright days!

I have done quite a bit of training with them today, although mostly with Indie I'll admit, in preparation for the Westglen heelwork to music/freestyle show.  I am mainly working on heelwork and keeping her attention on my face, which is going well, and I have also been putting our routine together and working out the best way to link moves. 

I decided to try a few new things today, with a sturdy box.  Indie knows the "on" command (get on top of box with all 4 feet), so I gave this and tried other things such as "beg", "twist" and "high" (stand upright on 2 back legs) on top of the box.  I could see that this was helping her with her balance, as she soon became quite aware that a foot wrong could lead to her tripping off the box.  Her "high" was very solid and stable, whereas she doesn't seem to put that much effort in normally.

I then used the "feet" command (put two front feet on the box) and attempted to teach her to pivot around the box using her back legs.  I taught this by standing by her side and giving the "close" command as I moved around the box.  I would love to get this to a point where she can do it on her own, as it would look great in a routine with me then circling her and the box.

I also went back over simply circling the box again, as after doing so much work involving getting on the box, I didn't want her to start anticipating what I was going to ask her to do with it.

We're hoping to take the dogs to Barnack Hills and Hollows tomorrow morning, before Matt has to nick my car to go to cricket nets.  I have been there once before, when we just had Ash, and it is absolutely beautiful.  Sadly on my last trip there I forgot my camera, so it will be great to get some photography done!

On a random final note, Indie and Bigpuss (one of my two Siamese brothers) have the most hilarious relationship I have ever seen.  She will lie with him, mouthing his head and drooling on him, whilst he purrs and rubs around in sheer delight..  strange animals...

No comments:

Post a Comment