Friday 6 March 2009

Trip to Hunstanton, and Indie's first seaside experience.

As it was such a lovely sunny day today, and we are currently on 2 weeks of annual leave, we took the dogs for a trip down to Hunstanton in Norfolk.  This was Indie's first experience of the sea, and I caught it on film, although sadly my boyfriend's laptop is not co-operating with me so I can't get it on here yet.  She did a mad hop when the tide first came towards her, but after that initial wariness, she spent most of the day in the water (and consequently, completely covered in sand!).

The dogs also made a new friend today, a lovely man who trains a retrieve and escape dog in the army, back from Iraq due to injury.  He spent quite a while talking to us and playing with the dogs, throwing their ball into the sea.  We had a few moments where it looked like the ball was going to be swept off to the horizon, but shockingly enough the dogs managed to bring it back every time and the ball even made it home!  (A rare occurence indeed!  I think I manage to lose a ball every time I decide to take one out with us!)

On a similar note, I have my own injured soldier!  Whilst we were throwing the tennis ball, Indie snapped at Trent, and there was blood running down his face.  He's got a tiny little nick in the tip of his ear  (far less severe than the amount of blood suggested), but it bled like crazy and ended up all over my hands and coat.  I don't think she actually intended to injure him, just to warn him off.  I have made a mental note to add antibac powder and tissues to my enormous bag for our next trip.

We walked for over 3 hours before we decided to head home, stopping to play fetch, take photos and shoot some video on the way. 

Indie was completely disinterested in the many passing dogs and people whilst we were out today, which I
 think would shock anyone who has met her at dog training.  She even treated the man who was playing with them as though she had always known him.  I like it when she's like that - that's the dog I know and love every day, and I sometimes feel exasperated that she can't just be herself at dog training, rather than having to yank me towards any other people and dogs whilst squealing excitedly.  She's the most highly trained dog out of the 3 of them, but still the least sensible.

No comments:

Post a Comment